10.6.09

The Switch

The switch from modern day hippie to 7 days a week faux career women was one that swept my feet out from under me. Unlike the damsel in distress being swept OFF her feet and into the arms of her gentleman I was like snow white who had her junk together until her evil step mother ruined her... yes I know there's more to the story; I'll get there.

Our society seems to have become a society that no longer finds weekends and holidays important. Don't get me wrong, Valentines day, Swedish day and all other hallmark holidays are not to be held with high importance... personally i hate them (no i was never dumped on v-day, nor a hater of love... i just think the whole big deal is useless and usually a cause of tears, fights or ego enlargers) Back to the point- our society has changed into a machine. College students used to be able to concentrate just on school, nowadays it's "crap, tuition is how much!?" "Shit, I need me a job or two... can I do three?" A student can no longer concentrate soley on college. Many, like me I'm sure, have at least one job, I myself have two steady part time jobs and a third job at certain times throughout the year. Oh then you need volunteer work and internships and college activities to be considered for scholarships, internships or jobs. REALLY. I didn't realize we all became superhumans with the power to be in three places at once or turn back time to do errands, study for a test, do a paper, go to work, help some lil' children stay on a positive path, and run a PRSSA meeting, not to mention eat something, call your family so they know you're not dead, and have time for a tiny social life... wow we are good, hehe. Then we get mocked by older generations because we are hyped on caffinee or dragging our feet... I'd like to see them do it all. I'll tell you something... I would love to run a coffee house becasue at the rate we are going as a society it's the only necessity we're going to need... screw decaf...screw hot coca... double expresso with a ginseng shot is where we're headed....

Now, we may not be adults yet but we are still human. We are forced to choose. I chose to live on my own, pay my own bills, work 50 hours a week, and carry a 3.98 GPA... so the question is what did I give up? CONUNDRUM I gave up my greenness. Not my participation in decreasing my carbon footprint (that I still do, it's a habit at this point, a great habit) I lost my personal greenery. My free time to wander, time to respect nature and encourage others to do the same. I find it once in a while but not very much. Like our society I am becoming a machine. A weekend and holiday off are a rarity, i have bills to pay and still have some to save for my future.

Like Snow White was shafted and poisoned by her evil step mother, Americans are being stripped of their joy and wellbeing by the demands of our economy and the workplace. My hope here is SnowWhite was waken up from the deep eternal sleep the poisioned apple left her in by her prince charming who, of course, swept her off her feet. Where does that leave us, are we in a deep sleep, being hunted by the evil step mothers woodsman, or being taken to safety by the dwarfs or about to be kissed by the prince?

My point is, are we all sacraficing to become a part of the machine America is becoming?

3 comments:

  1. yes life can be fishy, but we all have to swim in it. And i will help you swim my girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so i just finished reading articles on this big story about the bank of america merger and about obama firing the inspector general of americorps (in a lame attempt to keep up with current affairs)and then i came across your blog. to be totally honest, your writing here about college students getting grilled in life was the thing that made the most sense. i haven't been a full time college student because of my fear of these student loans, part-time jobs, and lack of a social life. that's partly why i'm in americorps, o try and figure that all out.
    great job on this. i very much enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks : ) don't be afraid to be a college student, student loans do suck but college doesn't... well that's not true at all really, if I could do it all again I would... I'm just not sure how, if that makes sense. I love learning and being able to accomplish so much, and feel great when I know I can hold down several jobs, and keep my GPA high, but I did have to move in with my boyfriend to see him and schedule one of my best friends in to actually get to see him... so that's the down side. But really it'll be worth it someday... it's just a long process to that day and being raped by the system is not fun but doable. I'm actually a lucky one, my loans won't be over $12,000, that's cheap for today.

    ReplyDelete